December 20, 2011

Entertaining Strangers With Turkeys

In a benevolent and big-hearted deed my neighbor who is Christian, dropped off a ton of food that we could definitely use because we are still strapped. The problem is that we ran out of freezer space for two turkeys...BIG ONES. So I call ahead to a church and asked if they can use the turkeys. The guy on the other end caught off guard says, "Uh, yeah". So I go to them and drop off two 20 pounders. When I walk in a man meets me at the door to help carry in the turkeys. It turns out it is the man I called and he explains why he was at a lack for words and sort of still is. He was struck dumb by the circumstances and totally caught off-guard by the immediate unfolding of events.

He said the ministry literally needed supplies at that very moment, specifically they needed turkeys and tells me they ran out today because...they were handing out turkey dinners to the homeless today and their supplies ran dry. It’s been a challenging year for everyone, especially ministries. They were going to need to head down to the store to and pay out of pocket (which they really can’t afford) to help feed the last dozen or so remaining people that had showed up. The people that I pulled up next to in the community shuttle were the last few people to the shelter and they had left empty-handed. As I walked out the one's that missed had been let out of the shuttle and returned to the building.

The last old man in the car looked at me as I drove away, smiled and nodded. As I drove away I thought back to what my parents used to tell me...

Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers [KJV/NKJV: entertain strangers], for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.” Hebrews 13:1-3

Yeah ma, grown men cry (many just don't do it in public).

[Thank you God for working through Mike to allow this to happen]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...