January 14, 2015

Christian Manifesto I: I Believe In Absolute Truth



Introduction: 

In a gradually expanding format and on a sporadic release schedule I will be releasing things I feel strongly about my faith in a manifesto form. I guess you could say it will be an Apologetic Creed to defend the Christian faith. It is going to be a Christian Theological / Philosophical Manifesto in the vein of Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer. I consider this an active manifesto of my beliefs. I will publish these mostly because I need to defend my faith from the attacks that come at it on nearly a daily basis. Most of the attacks are unfounded, unreasoned, illogical, irrational, emotionally driven or just pure tripe. Most of the attacks I hear or read are usually recycled red herring arguments, straw man arguments or some other form of mindless fallacy that a first year philosophy student could see coming a mile away. 

I am also writing it because the culture and society standstill for no one and to assure the message stays relevant I am hitting the culture in its "relevance" underbelly because if culture wants to be anything...it wants to be relevant...it wants to be hip. Some of the previous Christian Manifesto like Schaeffer' is becoming dated and we might be due for a slightly more updated one that addresses the most current social immorality issues and attempts to short circuit current unbiblical trends both outside and inside the Church. Every new Christian generation brings with it a new set of Christian enemies that are repleat with a unique set of circumstances that need to be dealt with. The heresies and flawed thinking processes may be the same errors of old but the people each generation brings are new and they will need to learn. They too do not understand sound logic nor do they have a good grasp of philosophies which therefore put them at a horrendous disadvantage right from the start. The Bible tells us to have a defense ready for those that would questions us (or by implication, hammer us) about our faith.

1 Peter 3:15 ~ “…but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.”

So without further ado...the beginning of the Revolution. 

The first declaration

I Believe In True Truth*

I believe that there is an objective/absolute truth or reality outside of myself. That truth/reality does not change because of me but I can change within it. I believe that truth is knowable and I have a moral and ethical duty to submit to it.

In the world or the godless secular view, man creates truth or what they believe is truth, thereby creating their own reality. They then attempt to foist this manufactured reality on me in the form of things like secularism, positivism, empiricism, feminism, sexual immorality, etc.

Yet I am told I am the arrogant and close-minded one for having a view that appeals to this external objective truth. The view I speak of is Christian. I will not let accusation like these stand against myself or any of my brethren without rebuttal or rebuke in logic, rational and reason.

*"Truth" here is a metonymy for God and God's Word, the Bible. Please note the capital letters, they're proper nouns. "Truth" here is also as stated above, it is objective or absolute. Without absolutes there is only relativism and relativism is philosophically untenable and self-referentially incoherent. It layman's terms it is self-negating or it invalidates itself by its own claim.


Scripture Support: 

Psalm 119:160 ~ “The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.”

John 14:6 ~ Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 17:17 ~ “Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.”


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...