March 15, 2021

The Barcelona Chair and Plato's Forms

Barcelona Chair
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Modernist
1929
(Knoll)

Life is at times paradoxical and enigmatic. At times it is strange to see that things within life are inextricably linked. Then, while pondering these enigmas we see that they're connected because of our interaction with them. We are the link. The tie between two completely disparate entities. We are the puzzle piece that is needed to form the grand design. The bridge designed to cross the chasm.

 I recently read an article where the Barcelona Chair by Mies van der Rohe was referred to as "the Platonic ideal of chair" by author Tom Wolfe. I though to myself, "That's a pretty interesting statement" Wolfe of course is referring to Plato’s Forms in ancient Greek philosophy. According to Plato, the 'Forms' are the perfect non-physical essences of all things, of which objects and matter in the physical world are merely imitations. High praise from Wolfe about the chair designed by Mies. Mies who was specifically known for his fondness of the aphorism, "God is in the details". 

It is ironic for me that Wolfe would tie the chair to Plato. The Barcelona Chair has been made by Knoll in East Greenville since the 1950’s. It is part of the German Bauhaus tradition known for its approach to design. Bauhaus actually utilized a modernist philosophical approach to the entire design process that strove to combine form and function into a design. Here again we see allusion to ‘forms’. In a word: Utilitarianism. A philosophical approach that I bring to my theology when I try to teach others systematically. No frills. Stoic. Spartan. Straightforward. Pragmatic. Practical. Facts, not feelings.

Also ironic is the fact that Knoll was my first full-time employer who hired me as an entry level draftsman in 1987 at 18 years old. A very emotive scatterbrained 18 years I might add. I was virtually all rhyme and no reason. Ron Snyder was the man that hired me (not sure why, I was a moron).  I guess he saw something promising in my unformed and unrefined state (thanks Ron). I gained a comprehensive foundation for my later career in my short 5 years at Knoll. It began a formation that would lead me to where I am today. As a Quality Engineer, Theologian, Writer and hack philosopher. 

Interestingly during my tenure at Knoll I was fortunate enough to have been in the Product Development and the Manufacturing departments where the original blueprints for the Barcelona Chair resided. The prints were done on large drafting linen/clothe in 1929. I was fortunate enough to do a change to the original linen. If I’m not mistaken I changed a weld on cross-over of the legs. The welds were failing so they were made slightly thicker. In the hindsight of 30 years of weld inspections I believe it was use of the wrong filler metal and poor cleaning of the weld joint. That didn't warrant a design change but that's I believe what happened. Regardless, changes to such an iconic design were never taken lightly but inevitably the weld designs were reformed / changed to become stronger and more resilient. Just as life would do to me. Change me. Make me new...reformed (theology joke).

Later in life I would return to school to complete degrees. The primarily degree in theology and secondarily in philosophy. Philosophy...in which Plato’s forms reside. The ‘Forms’ which are a direct reference made by Tom Wolfe about the chair that I changed prints for 30 years ago while I was in an unformed state. Changes to a chair that in its production lifetime had reached maturity. Just as I have now. Soundly built. Functionally robust.

Thereby, I essentially changed the form of the chair that was itself referenced as Plato’s ‘Form’ for 'chair'. In the employment that allowed a chance to change a weld on that chair (pretty sure it was the Barcelona). That employment would also allow me a chance to change and reform. A change to my form 30 years ago in a job that would form the prototype or benchmark for the rest of my adult life.

Paradox and interconnectivity. As if it was designed that way…or for you of a theological bend...

Sovereignty and providence.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...