March 14, 2010

I AM -vs- I will: A Comparison/Contrast


Jesus Christ's "I am" statements:

They are all claims of divinity based on Exodus 3:14 when God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" There are clearly more to the meanings in these I AM statements but I wanted brief descriptions.

Before Abraham was, I Am ~John 8:58
Jesus is the foundation of life with God which comes through faith & righteousness. Jesus affirms His timeless and eternal nature.

I AM the bread of life. ~John 6:35,John 6:48
Jesus is the One who imparts and sustains life, eternal life. By union with Christ man attains everlasting life.

I AM the light of the world. ~John 8:12
It is only through Jesus that the brilliant attributes of of God shine most brilliantly in the midst of the darkness of the world.

I AM the door for the sheep ~John 10:7
Jesus is the only one through which man can legitimately gain access to eternal life in heaven. He is the door for the sheep not to the sheep.

I AM the good shepherd. ~John 10:11-14
The good shepherd will lay down His life for His sheep.

I AM the resurrection and the life. ~John 11:25
Both the resurrection and life are through Jesus. Because He lives, we will too. He is the first fruits of the resurrection. Jesus has conquered death. He went into the grave and came out the other side

I am the way and the truth and the life. ~John 14:6
Jesus didn't just show the way. He is the way. Only through a faithful relationship with Christ can we have salvation

I AM the true vine. ~John 15:1,5
Only when we abide in Christ will we produce the fruits of the Spirit.
___________________________________________________

The Babylonian king/Lucifer's "I will" Statements (in Isaiah 14)

These "I wills" are actually addressed to/referring to the king of Babylon but the analogy between the proud king of Babylon and the comparable fall of Lucifer is made in verse 12. They are so similar as to be indistinguishable. The act of gross insubordination and extreme sinfulness were quickly followed by severe punishment. Lucifer and one-third of the angels of heaven did not get a second chance. The megalomaniacal king of Babylon didn't appear to get much of a second chance either.

I will ascend to heaven...Isaiah 14:13 (lower than heaven)
I will raise my throne above the stars of God...Isaiah 14:13 (throne lower than the heavenly bodies)
I will sit enthroned on...mount of assembly...utmost heights of the sacred mountain. Isaiah 14:13 (not enthroned, not a divine king)
I will ascend above the tops of the clouds...Isaiah 14:14 (below clouds)
I will make myself like the Most High...Isaiah 14:14 (below/less than the Most High)

"I will"...denotes a need to actually do something because Lucifer isn't their yet. All of the aforementioned statements are claims to something that currently are not in possession. A desire to take something that is not theirs. Both of these beings are things clearly less than omnipotent, omnipresent or omniscient. The "I wills" are essentially unconscious acknowledgments that the speaker is under someone else's authority or in subjugation to something (God). They are inferior beings claiming superiority.

What happens when he tries to attain or achieve without God in pride and envy?

Isaiah 14:11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave, along with the noise of your harps; maggots are spread out beneath you and worms cover you.

Isaiah 14:15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.

This once lofty Babylon king's empire is now in ruins. He lacked nothing that humanity could provide in the form of material goods and power. He strove to take God's throne, instead he is condemned to the lowest Hell. His former greatest lies mostly forgotten except by those that read the Bible. Like Lucifer, his only contribution to humanity is to serve as an example of what not to be and how not to act in the face of Almighty God. "I wills" cannot stand in direct opposition to "I AM". Was it worth the moment in the at the pinnacle of the mountain? The moment in the limelight? A fleeting moment of pleasure for an eternity in Hell.

Do you have any "I wills" in your life or are you willing to submit humbly to "I AM".

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...