June 30, 2010

Examining The Scripture XLIV: The Weakness of The Strongman


I've been asked before which character/personality of the Bible I am most like. For those that know me this choice will seem like a no-brainer because I have lifted weights for the better part of 25 years. Although I've answered differently from time to time. Right now I feel as if Samson is the best fit...and it isn't because of strength and being a big dude but because of his flawed character. I personally don't believe Samson was a big guy anyway. If he was big his feats of strength wouldn't have been that impressive anyway. It would've been a big guy doing what big guys do, lifting and moving big objects. I believe Samson was a normal sized guy (perhaps a little bit muscular) but powered by the Lord. An average Joe, not a Jewish Arnold Schwarzenegger or Lou Ferrigno. Besides, I don't care how big you are, nobody carries the gates of Gaza 40 miles to Hebron without the power of God.

Quite frankly no one wants to admit they are often a “really” bad guy but the sad truth is that all people including those in the Bible are bad when viewed by God’s perspective. We has humans want to see ourselves as better than we really are. Often times we attempt in vain, to elevate ourselves while simultaneously trying to bring God down to our level. We try to capture him in a bottle and put Him on our mantle like a sculpture or decorative plates so we can admire Him and tell people He is ours. Many of us are not villainous in our motives but we are still a lot like the flawed characters that populate most of these books I 've exegeted up to this point. Sadly, many of us are quite flawed without realizing we are. I think there are good attributes even in the worst of us but we are all sinful. Having stated that I am mostly comparable to Samson I would like to add that I am not quite as deluded in my denial of my sin.

I believe Samson often thought he was doing things correctly but human sin and foibles trumped common sense and eventually led God to remove his spirit from him. By allowing Delilah to shave his coif. Human weakness allowed the world to creep in sometimes unexpectedly but often in plain view and Samson was powerless to stop it becuase of his sinful nature and failure to stay close to the Lord. His true Godly spirit was manifest prominently at the end of his life in his brokenness as is the case in many people's lives. It takes hitting absolute bottom to realize that we need God. When broken and emptied God can then rebuild us and we are easier to shape in His image. As a student attending seminary in my early to mid 40’s I am also learning late to use the tools granted to me by God by grace to better glorify him. At best my motives in the past were dubious and were not God glorifying. I can now honestly say that I am fulfilling this a little bit better now. Thankfully I won't have to commit to an act that will end up killing me to have some type of redemption, Christ has already done this for me. Well, off to the gym for a workout...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello everyone, i'm Linda Harry from United State i was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease  for over 6 years which made me loose my job and my relationship with my Fiance after he discovered that i was having Parkinson, he departed from me, and i tried all my best to make him stays, but he neglected me until a friend of mine  from UK told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing herbal medicine. then he  sent me his email address to contact him- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can be solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust on him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he instructed me to do. And surprisingly after two weeks, He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( PARKINSON NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, dr imoloa also uses his powerful herbal medicine to cure the following diseases:  lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, bone cancer, lung cancer. contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. and also on whatssap- +2347081986098

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...