November 23, 2011

Eucharisteo...εὐχαριστέω...To Be Grateful

Grace
1918
Eric Enstrom
------------------------------------------------------

A Thanksgiving Prayer

O God, when I have food,
help me to remember the hungry;
When I have work,
help me to remember the jobless;
When I have a home,
help me to remember those who have no home at all;
When I am without pain,
help me to remember those who suffer,
And remembering,
help me to destroy my complacency;
bestir my compassion,
and be concerned enough to help;
By word and deed,
those who cry out for what we take for granted.
Amen.

Samuel F. Pugh

------------------------------------------------------


The Harvest Moon

It is the Harvest Moon! On gilded vanes
And roofs of villages, on woodland crests
And their aerial neighborhoods of nests
Deserted, on the curtained window-panes
Of rooms where children sleep, on country lanes
And harvest-fields, its mystic splendor rests!
Gone are the birds that were our summer guests,
With the last sheaves return the laboring wains!
All things are symbols: the external shows
Of Nature have their image in the mind,
As flowers and fruits and falling of the leaves;
The song-birds leave us at the summer's close,
Only the empty nests are left behind,
And pipings of the quail among the sheaves.

Henry Wadsworh Longfellow

----------------------------------------------


We Gather Together

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens his will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to his name: He forgets not his own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, All glory be thine!

We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be

Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!
Amen

Traditional Thanksgiving Hymn
A translation by Theodore Baker: 1851-1934

2 comments:

child of God said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a wonderful day. :)

I have this picture of the man praying in my kitchen along with a separate one of the woman praying.

Blessings,
<><

Andy Pierson said...

"Grace" was been in my family since the 1940's. My grandparents had it above my grandfathers chair in their kitchen. It is now in mine. Blessings to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...