July 19, 2010

Examining The Scripture LXXXVI: My Son(s)


The words “my son(s)” is/are repeat continually throughout Proverbs 1-9. In these passages this term is used most frequently to probably refer to Solomon’s own sons because of the reference in in verse 8 of “your mother”. Originally proverbs were used for instruction and these verses were orally delivered to either to students of Solomon or others in the royal court or others to their sons in their homes. In learning environments at the time of Solomon it probably was not uncommon to address a student as “son” also…so this term may have taken on a dual purpose. This to me this just shows the inherent wisdom of the person they came from. They instilled a single word with a dualistic meaning and purpose. So whether or not this was used in a domestic or public setting is of no adverse consequence. It would’ve applied just the same. That is very wise (Buzzell 902).

(1) Proverbs 1:8-Hear, my son, your father's instruction. And do not forsake your mother's teaching;

(2) Proverbs 1:10-My son, if sinners entice you, Do not consent.

(3) Proverbs 1:15-My son, do not walk in the way with them Keep your feet from their path,

(4) Proverbs 2:1-My son, if you will receive my words. And treasure my commandments within you,

(5) Proverbs 3:1-My son, do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments;

(6) Proverbs 3:11-My son, do not reject the discipline of the LORD Or loathe His reproof,

(7) Proverbs 3:21-My son, let them not vanish from your sight; Keep sound wisdom and discretion,

(8) Proverbs 4:10-Hear, my son, and accept my sayings. And the years of your life will be many.

(9) Proverbs 4:20-My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings.

(10) Proverbs 5:1-My son, give attention to my wisdom, Incline your ear to my understanding;

(11) Proverbs 5:7-Now then, my sons, listen to me And do not depart from the words of my mouth.

(12) Proverbs 5:20-For why should you, my son, be exhilarated with an adulteress...

(13) Proverbs 6:1-My son, if you have become surety for your neighbor, Have given a pledge for a stranger,

(14) Proverbs 6:3-Do this then, my son, and deliver yourself; Since you have come into the hand of your neighbor, Go, humble yourself, and importune your neighbor.

(15) Proverbs 6:20-My son, observe the commandment of your father.

(16) Proverbs 7:1-My son, keep my words. And treasure my commandments within you.

(17) Proverbs 7:24-Now therefore, my sons, listen to me, And pay attention to the words of my mouth.

Holy Bible: New American Standard Bible., 2008. Online.

Buzzell, Sid, John Walvoord. "Proverbs:Introduction:Addresses." Bible Knowledge Commentary Old Testament: An Exposition of the Scriptures (Bible Knowledge). Acambaro: Victor, 1985. 902-903. Print.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...