September 23, 2019

The ‘Internet of Things’ & The Gospel


The Internet at its core is about people and communication. It speeds these things up. It perverts them. Sometimes it silences them depending on who is in control as we see with China. The ‘Internet of Things’ is vastly expanding that capability right within your home, work and...well, your pocket. You have access to it all on your phones no matter where you are. It is also strangling your privacy to death. As a Christian how should I feel about this? The real question one should ask is, as a Christian, am I entitled to my privacy? As a Christian…should my life be an open book? For many, living transparently is hard…because they’re hiding things as sinful people will.

Truthfully, the fact that things will be all interconnected sounds specifically like an Orwellian dystopia and really weirds some people out. The ubiquitous and omnipresent Big Brother that we’re inviting right into our homes in the name of convenience. But I see that weirdness feeling for what it is. Fear. Fear of exposing the true self warts and all. We're usually only comfortable projecting images of ourselves that have the 'beauty' filter on. In reality, that isn't us. It is a manufactured entity. A fake us. I personally believe that my life as a Christian teacher/leader should be marked by transparency and openness to all who would want to observe it. I have little or no fear of this as I have nothing to hide. What I do at night is what I do in the light. What I do behind a closed door is the same I do outside of it. If I do everything to the glory of God, what do I have to fear?

So, if in truth I live my life in Christ there will be those that will find that life appealing either through me or by my teaching of Scripture (in and outside the Internet). Living it in such a way that it brings others to the Faith by what they see in my life. The Christian life properly lived is visible and should be visible to the outside world. Like an apple that wants of eating or a flower that desires to be smelled. We will manifest the Fruits of the Spirit and it should entice people to holiness. It is ironic that this interconnectedness is already reflected in the 1st Century Christianity by Jesus.

I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

A new tomorrow is starting to emerge. There is a new creation being called the “Internet of Things”, "Web 3.0", or the "Transcendent Web". What we are beginning to see is almost every object you can see around you carries the possibility of being connected to the Internet. Most of your new cars already are. Your phone. Your television. Your lights. Stove. Heater. Security system. Air Conditioner. The reach is becoming like vines into every aspect of life. Books are digital. Music is digital. Pictures are digital. Pixels. Bytes. Data. All the aforementioned appliances and luxuries can all become valid IP (internet protocol) addresses as nodes of communication. All remote controlled by your phone. If they can be connected, they can be communicated with. Secrecy and privacy become obsolete

Should I care?

I personally believe not. Much of what’s uploaded to the internet I’ve put there myself. Facebook. Google Chrome. Clouds. My medical records. My blog. Traveling destinations. My buying habits all profiled down to what underwear I prefer. My life in pictures and sometimes video. Encapsulations of my life preserved in digital data.

The network of things or nodes will quickly outnumber the connections of people-to-people...if they haven't already. I suppose this comes with its negatives but frankly I see many positives. I personally have lived my life like an open book because of the One I represent. But what of other Christians? For me it boils down simply to one thing. The same thing that drives/guides my behavior and actions now. What does this 'Internet of Things' mean for the Gospel? My next post lays this out for everyone, everywhere at any time. 


<$MESSAGE://YOU NEED ONLY ACCESS IT....DOWNLOAD SEQUENCE...BEGIN.../>

<REBOOT>
<REBOOT>
<REBOOT>
<REBOOT>


#internetofthings #christ #gospel #transcendentweb #christian #
dystopia 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...